Monday 24 January 2022

 Kiran Devi, a 12th pass mother of a 5 year old is an empowered young woman today. When her husband expired her world collapsed. She was treated as a burden on the family and send back to her mother’s place.

Kiran Devi, Operator, Semra Urj Jhungwa, UP, IndusInd Bank


She is grateful to the Sarpanch (who recommended her as an operator for the Purification plant), her supportive fellow villagers, and Sarvajal team for giving her an opportunity to embrace life once again. “I had never thought I could earn a living for us, did not have the confidence and courage for it.  In her words,” Hum bahut khush hai ki hame ye naukri mili, isse hum apne ghar chalate hai”. (I am very happy that I happened to get this job now I can run my family with earning from here).  “My in-laws are aged and are dependent on me; I can take care of them too.  This job has transformed my role in their eyes, I am considered their son now and it is my responsibility to fill in the vacuum created by my husband.”

Serving safe drinking water is a seva for the community, and by serving Safe drinking water I have found my self-worth and am self-reliant.