Monday 7 March 2022

Ashwini Vatte ,(28) Barul in Osmanabad district, Maharashtra is very passionate about being more than a housewife. She is an active member of the Self Help Group in her village and serves as a Deputy Secretary of the group.

Standard Chartered Bank blessed her village with a Sarvajal Kendra for investing in the well-being of the community by providing easy access to safe water.

She was nominated as Operator of the plant through a unanimous decision of the water committee since she was managing the SHG very well.  

After being trained on machine operations, Ashwini felt very confident to handle the plant operations.



She says, “I fill up the tank early each morning as people (consumers) start coming as soon as the sun is up. My husband and mother-in-law are very supportive and encourage me to work at the water plant, be part of meetings and engage with other people in the community.

This project came at a time when the villagers were buying bottled water for Rs 20 per litre. This is a good and inclusive scheme even for poor people as good quality water is available only at Rs 6 per 20 litres.

“I feel happy about my job and strive to add more consumers for the maximum benefit of the village! Convincing my village people about safe drinking water and its role in preventing waterborne diseases, fills me with a sense of purpose as I am able to influence them and motivate them to adopt healthy habits”.

Ashwini carries herself with pride in many other roles on daily basis, she is a caring housewife, runs a Kirana shop,a tailor, and community influencer!